The Value of a TICO Registered Travel Agency or Website
You’re ready to book your next trip and you know the importance of double checking that the travel agency or booking website is registered with TICO.
Here’s what you can expect when you book with a TICO registered travel agency or website:
They will be upfront about the details
- In Ontario, all-in pricing is the law, meaning no hidden charges or surprises
- Information about any fees/penalties if you need to change or cancel your booking
- Disclosure of unique conditions that may affect your decision to book (e.g., construction at a resort)
They will tell you what documentation is needed
- Different countries have always had different entry requirements, and that has been amplified in this post-pandemic environment. Your TICO registered travel agency or website will inform you of the documentation (e.g., passport, visa, passport validity) needed for your destination.
They’ll share travel insurance options
- All TICO registered travel agencies and booking websites must advise you of the availability of travel insurance. Some companies also sell travel insurance and will ask you if you would like to purchase it from them.
The details of your booking will be included on your invoice, including:
- Price – full fare breakdown and total price
- Fees and penalties for changes/cancellations
- Description of travel services, including travel dates and suppliers
- Agency information, including TICO registration number
- Insurance (if purchased)
- Whether the booking permits price increases. If permitted, MUST include this info:
- No price increases are permitted after the customer has paid in full
- If the price increase is more than 7% (except increases resulting from an increase in GST/PST/HST), the customer has the right to cancel the contract and obtain a full refund
You’ll benefit from their professionalism and knowledge
- Travel professionals have the inside scoop on destinations, entry requirements and other important travel details. They can help you navigate the many travel options available and help tailor an experience that’s just right for you.
If something does go wrong, you have someone to call
- Travel professionals are there to help if there are issues before/during/after travel, providing you peace-of-mind throughout your travel experience
Why this matters:
- No games – When you book through a travel agency, website or app located outside of Ontario, there’s likely no requirement for them to follow specific rules. You may be caught by surprise if important details are not disclosed to you.
- TICO’s support – In the event that something goes wrong with your travel booking, TICO has a complaints process if you booked your travel with an Ontario-based travel agency, booking website or app. Learn more about how TICO can help. If you book with a company outside of Ontario, the same level of support may not be available.
Book with a TICO Registered Travel Agency
To verify if a travel agency or website is TICO registered, check our online directory.
Take the TICO Traveller Quiz to see what type of traveller you are.
Sign up to receive quarterly travel consumer protection email updates.
For more travel tips and information, visit the Smart Traveller Guide.
All travel agencies and websites located and operating in Ontario are regulated by TICO. Registered travel agencies and websites provide additional consumer protection for your travel investment that may not be available when booking with travel agencies and websites based in other countries or provinces. For more information about how TICO helps, click here.
Any questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-451-TICO (8426).