TICO Education Standards - Writing the Exam
(This information pertains to the Travel Counsellor Exam, the Supervisor/Manager Exam and the Combination Travel Counsellor and Supervisor/Manager Exam)
|You can indicate your preferred exam writing date on the registration form that you initially submitted OR...|
|You can sign up for an exam date afterward by re-entering your registration form through the Continue to Register box. You will need your Unique TICO Exam Registration Number and your email address to enter this area.|
|The Supervisor/Manager Exam is available for Travel Agency Supervisors.|
|Please note: TICO is unable to take registrations or requests for exam dates and times over the telephone.|
Equipment required for the Exams:
- An internet connection
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or greater OR
- Netscape 6.0 or higher OR
- Firefox 1.0 or higher
- Screen Size requirements: Resolution of 800 X 600 (which is a fairly standard monitor setting) or greater
- Test the compatibility of your computer(s) by going to the ASI Test Site at www.asitest.ca/system_test_e.htm. This feature checks the computer system to make sure it is compatible for running the on-line test.
What to bring with you on Exam Day:
- Your Unique TICO Exam Registration Number.
- Government Issued Photo identification to ensure that you are the candidate who has registered for the exam. (Driver's License, Landed Immigrant Card or Passport are the most popular 'official' ID, as they show both your photo and your birth date (which is needed to identify you for the TICO exam).
What NOT to bring with you on Exam Day:
- All the Exams are written on-line. Therefore no pens, pencils or scrap paper are necessary. For those who wish to have scrap paper, they may get this from the Proctor, however, at the end of the exam, they must leave all scrap paper with the Proctor, before exiting the room. The Proctor will dispose of the scrap paper in an appropriate way.
- Exams are 'closed-book' . Therefore, no copies of the Study Manual, the Travel Industry Act, 2002 or Ontario Regulation 26/05 may be brought into the exam room.
- Candidate may not bring any dictionaries or electronic devices of any sort into the exam room.
- No papers, files, books etc may be on the desk at which candidates are writing the exam
- Cell phones must be turned off and kept under the seat. If a candidate's cell phone rings during the exam, whether intentionally or otherwise, the candidate will be asked to leave the room and must re-register to re-write the exam.
- During the course of the exam, if a candidate attempts to open another website on the computer, the exam program will most likely shut down and the candidate will have to re-register to re-write the exam.
On Exam Day:
- The Proctor will confirm your identity when you present your Government-Issued photo identification.
- The Proctor will sign you into the exam in the Candidate Log.
- For the Travel Counsellor Exam, you will have 90 minutes to answer the 50 multiple choice exam questions.
- For the Supervisor/Manager Exam, you will have 60 minutes to write the 30 multiple-choice questions.
- For the Combination Travel Counsellor and Supervisor/Manager Exam, you will have 150 minutes to write the 80 multiple-choice questions.
- A timer on the upper right of the screen will indicate how much time is remaining for your exam.
- You may skip a question if you are unsure of the answer. You will be prompted to return to all skipped questions at the end of the exam.
- Once you start to write the exam, there are no ' time-outs' or 'recesses' allowed. The candidate is allowed one 90 minute (or 60 minute or 150 minute) block of time to complete the exam.
- There is one question per page and you simply indicate the correct answer by clicking the mouse.
Receiving Your Exam Results:
- Exam results are mailed directly to the candidate, usually within 10 business days after writing.
- Due to TICO's adherence to the Privacy Act, no exam information will be conveyed to anyone except the candidate who wrote the exam, unless we have already received explicit permission from the candidate to reveal their results to a third party. Third Party Authorization Form
- Exam marks will not be conveyed verbally over the telephone.
- Exam marks are expressed as either a Pass or Fail.
- NOTE: After a candidate writes the Exam and receives their results, it is the candidate's responsibility to communicate their results, if they so choose, to a third party. TICO will not entertain requests to forward results to a 3rd party after the results have already been mailed to a candidate, however this service may be available with an administration fee attached.
Other related categories:
The Supervisor/Manager Exam
Every travel agency is required to name a Supervisor/Manager on their application for registration or renewal. This individual is the Supervisor/Manager “on record” with TICO. The Supervisor/Manager on record with TICO as of June 30th, 2009 will be “grandfathered” and will not be required to take the Supervisor/Manager Exam by July 1, 2009. An individual that has not been approved as a Supervisor/Manager by TICO and who wishes to act as the Supervisor/Manager on record with TICO on or after July 1, 2009, must write and pass the Supervisor/Manager Exam.
Please note that all supervisors and managers or other individuals who may wish to advance in the industry in the future are welcome and encouraged to take the exam.
If a person has passed the Travel Counsellor Exam before June 30th, 2009 and this person then takes on the responsibility of Supervisor after June 30th, 2009, then all they will have to do is write and pass the Supervisor/Manager Exam (In other words, they do not have to take the Travel Counsellor Exam again).
The Combination Travel Counsellor and Supervisor/Manager Exam
If on the other hand, the person is new to the industry and has not passed the Travel Counsellor Exam, then they may write a combined exam (Travel Counsellor PLUS Supervisor/Manager).