Mar 10`17 - Placido Calore and Blue Mountain Travel - Conviction
Toronto– Placido Calore and 407488 Ontario Ltd. o/a Business & Vacation Travel Planners and Blue Mountain Travel (BMT) plead guilty and were each convicted of the following offences under the Travel Industry Act, 2002 (Act) and Ontario Regulation 26/05 made under the Act (the Regulation).
- Five (5) counts of failing to deposit customer funds into the trust account contrary to s. 27(3) of the Regulation.
- One (1) count of carrying on business with an unregistered travel agent, Carolyn (Michelle) Solomon, contrary to s. 20 of the Regulation
- One (1) count of failing to notify the Registrar, 5 days in advance of closing of its Trust Account, contrary to s. 17(2) of the Regulation.
The following sentence was imposed:
- BMT- Fine in the amount of $20,000.
- Placido Calore- Fine in the amount of $10,000.
- Placido Calore- Pay restitution to consumers in the amount of $13,679.
- Placido Calore- Pay restitution to the Travel Industry Council of Ontario in the amount of $31,704, payable as follows:
(a) $7,000 - payable as a lump sum on the day of sentencing;
(b) $24,704 – payable over a period of 24 months;
5. Placido Calore- Probation Order for a period of 24 months.
Placido Calore was an officer and director of BMT, a travel agent registered under the Act, which operated in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario. BMT’s registration was voluntarily terminated effective July 31, 2015.
In a related prosecution, TICO has charged Carolyn Solomon, a former employee of BMT, with 18 counts of operating as a travel agent without registration. She is also facing criminal charges of fraud. Both matters are currently before the Court.
For More Information, Media Please Contact:
Mr. Richard Smart, President & C.E.O. or Dorian Werda, Vice President, Operations
Tel: (905) 624-6241 / Toll Free: 1-888-451-TICO