Mar 07`17 - Thomas Chellakudam and Finton Travel Ltd - Conviction
Toronto– Finton Travel Ltd. pled guilty and was convicted of 1 (one) count of carrying on business with Carolyn Solomon, who was required to be registered as a travel agent, but was not in fact so registered, contrary to section 20 of Ontario Regulation 26/05 (the Regulation) made under the Travel Industry Act, 2002 (the Act). Finton Travel Ltd. is a registered travel agent under the Act. It operates in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario. The conviction was entered and the following sentence was imposed:
- Restitution payable to 2 consumers, prior to the date of sentencing;
- Fine in the amount of $1,000, payable over the period of 24 months.
Thomas Chellakudam, an officer of Finton Travel Ltd., pled guilty and was convicted of one count of failing to take reasonable care to prevent Finton Travel Ltd. from committing the offence under section 20 of the Regulation, contrary to section 31(2) of the Act. The conviction was entered and the following sentence was imposed:
- Fine in the amount of $3,000, payable over the period of 24 months.
- Probation Order for 1 year, effective on the date of the sentencing, with the following conditions attached, in addition to the statutory conditions outlined in Section 72 of the POA:
- Mr. Chellakudam to attend a Financial Compliance Seminar offered by TICO
- Mr. Chellakudam to sign up and write the Supervisor/Manager exam. Mr. Chellakudam must successfully pass the exam by February 23, 2018.
For More Information, Media Please Contact:
Mr. Richard Smart, President & C.E.O. or Dorian Werda, Vice President, Operations
Tel: (905) 624-6241 / Toll Free: 1-888-451-TICO